To locate large data sets you can search Google or in certain subscription based library databases. To search Google try the following search tips:
Think about who or what organization might collect the data you are interested in. Visit their website to see if they make data available.
- government agencies
- nonprofit organizations
- business/industry organizations or corporations
- universities or academic researchers
- Include search terms like data, datasets, statistics, or table
- Search example: criminal justice data
- Search example: water pollution dataset
- Search for a particular document or file type. Often datasets are found in excel sheets (.xls) or other similar document types such as .xml, .csu, and json. Use the document type in your search.
- Search example: json AND climate dataset
- Also, try the Advanced Google Search and use the file type field to select a specific type of document.
To view lists of suggested open access and subscription based data sets, select the Datasets Lists tab.